Sunday, September 13, 2015

Aurora Australis

I have been told I can write a "guest" post...  So on the 9th of September 2015 readings for the Aurora went up and an alert feed in facebook was reporting beams from aurora were starting to be sighted. I was ready and Kristenne followed (she didn't want to miss the chance to see beams with the naked eye). We drove towards Evandale mainly because Kristenne thought she had a few places that might be dark enough. On the drive the sky was unusually light and when we pulled over I took a quick picture for 1sec and while blurry it was green telling me things were going to be good. We set up the tripod and as our eyes adjusted there were beams of light dancing on horizon. Sure enough the camera picked up the same but with colour. It was a fun night.

Now for the technical side. I often read (and probably should reply to the odd person on forums) questioning whether a micro four thirds camera could work for astrophotography. Well to answer that question it might not be as good as some full frame cameras but for a fifth of the price (or more these days) the OMD EM-5 certainly does a pretty good job (at least in my eyes)


No comments:

Post a Comment